One of my favorite Thanksgiving-Christmas traditions is to see as many new movies as possible. I love everything from the lobby posters and displays (which I used to build) to the overpriced refreshments (I am a coke and popcorn kinda’ girl) to the previews and finally the movie itself. About the only thing I don’t like is the ‘roller coaster’ intro, which makes my motion sickness kick into high gear every time!
After what seems like a months-long movie drought I am looking forward to the following November-December releases:
- Jackie (will Natalie score her next Oscar?)
- Rogue One (I haven’t missed seeing a Star Wars movie in the theatre since 1976)
- La La Land (I’ve liked Emma since Zombieland and Easy A)
- Fences (I’m bringing LOTS of Kleenex for this)
- Elle (Isabelle Huppert refusing to be a victim)
- Edge of Seventeen (Hailee AND Woody…nuff said)
- Nocturnal Animals (just to see how Tom Ford executes his exquisite vision)
- I, Daniel Blake (which somehow reminds me of ‘A Man Called Ove’)
I also saw my ninth pick, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ , this past weekend as a respite from 3 days of football and turkey. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, which cast a sneaky sort of charm over the audience. It was beautifully shot, with lots of CGI as you might imagine. Was it great? No…but it WAS entertaining (no nudity! no cursing! no drugs!) and appropriate for wizards, muggles, non-mags, and beasts of all ages.
How about you? Do you like to see movies when they come out or do you prefer to wait and watch them from the comfort of your couch? Are there any movies you want to see this holiday season? I’d love to know…